Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A very New York Proposal!

...as it happened from my point of view...

Emily and I got up early on May 27 to take a train from the Gibbs house in Chatham, New Jersey back to NYC to get in one last full day of that fabulous place.

Even though I wasn't officially engaged yet, I bought really cute skirts at H&M (my favorite store) that I wanted my sisters and Brandon's to wear at our wedding reception. I needed to exchange a lot of the sizes before we left since there is STILL no H&M in Utah. After we dropped off our stuff at the Buckners, we ventured out to go shopping. Our plan was to come back in the afternoon to get ready before taking pictures in Central Park and visiting the Natural History Museum. Since I had a lot of skirts to carry around and because of all the humidity, I decided to take a backpack and pull my hair up (so NOT New York) and then I would get ready later.

Well, shopping took a lot longer (no surprise there) and because Emily had been scheming with Brandon this whole time, we were way behind schedule and needed to go directly to Central Park. Em knew I would flip if I was proposed to looking the way I did, but luckily she had some extra shirts and make-up in her bag. I changed as soon as we got to Central Park and was feeling oh so refreshed. Little did I know I was just moments away from the biggest surprise of my life!

We started walking over to Bow Bridge, the famous one on all the movies to "get pictures." Now, you have to know that I am the HARDEST girl to surprise, but I was so oblivious and had no idea what was going on. I even asked Emily just before we got to the bridge if she would ever want to be proposed to here. :) We were looking at the couples enjoying a romantic stroll on the row boats, wishing we were doing the same thing.

A few minutes later I felt something brush up against my backpack and heard an "excuse me." I thought there was just something going on behind me so I turned around only to see Brandon standing right there! My first reaction was "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

He then got down on one knee and said, "Melissa King, will you marry me?" I said, "Yes, but what are you doing here?" He said, "I'm trying to propose!" I hugged him and was still so surprised! When it happened, the whole world stopped and I even forgot Em was still there. She didn't know if we was going to propose right when he saw me or wait until later that night. She got some fun pics of us so I didn't mind.


The pouring rain kept us from going on a row-boat after all, but it didn't stop us from having the most romantic walk through Central Park ever!

We found this adorable Italian restaurant called Serafina where we had our first meal as an engaged couple! We were soaking wet from running through the puddles and busy streets of the city, but we didn't mind.















And ok, have to get one of those cheesy ring pictures. :)

4 comments:

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! I'm SOOO excited for you two! Brandon is one lucky boy to get you! And I don't think you're getting too bad of a deal either! ;) Let me know what I can do to help with wedding plans. I can't wait! I was a little worried this day wouldn't actually come. ;)

Adrienne said...

CONGRATS!!!!

Jenn said...

Congratulations Melissa! What a fun proposal! Can't wait to get the announcement.

Cheryl said...

Hi Melissa! I found your blog through Adrienne's. Congratulations again. I am excited to read what you are up to on your blog!